Friday, October 30, 2009

Habitat for Humanity

So I lead a team at work to help improve morale and increase team building within IT. I was asked to expand this and include people from other sites in the activities. As part of that, I get to plan Community Service days and we recently finished 2 days with Habitat for Humanity.

The first day it SNOWED all day. It was so cold! But that house was pretty far along and we hung dry wall, moved wood, and prepped the 2nd floor for drywall.

The second day was yesterday - it was so nice out! But because of the location and the recent rain we have had, saying it was a mess doesn't give it justice. The head of the worksite called me on Wednesday and asked to make sure everyone wore boots, the foundation work they had done so far had caved in and there was a lot of mud. I didn't know what to expect but I can tell you that I did NOT expect that much mud. It was crazy!!! After we moved buckets and more buckets and more buckets of mud, and removed 2 people from the mud after they got stuck, we were able to move to some less messy activities and it ended up being a gorgeous day. Here are some pics from yesterday that people have sent me so far...

Before we got started...you can see from behind we didn't have too much space to work with

Check out all that water!!! You can see the water line where it had creeped up to over night...we were able to get all the water out and fix the foundation around it by the time we left - I think everyone slept good last night!

5 comments:

Dan said...

Word to the wise - boots on a work site do not equal the rain boots you're wearing.

Andrea said...

They served their purpose and they did not get stuck in the mud. I can't say that about those people wearing sneakers

Dan said...

Kristin knows how ineffective sneakers are in mud. And she does not handle it well either.

Kristin said...

Sneakers are not made for mud. and neither am I.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a lot of work also sounds like you had a lot of fun..
I am glad to know you like this kind of work so if I ever need help I will call you.....don't worry Krisint we wont forget you.

Ray said if we need anything done to our septic sludge..you are the person he will call lst....
Love
Cindy & Ray