Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Great weekend

For our wedding, Dan & I got a gift certificate for a registry of bed and breakfasts. We always knew it was there, but we never got around to using it - knowing that it expired on our 7th anniversary. Well, as we approached that anniversary last year I was super pregnant or wrestling with a newborn so just before the 7 year expiration hit I called them up and begged for another year - success! That extra year was coming up again so Dan and I started researching and picked last weekend to go away. We drove to Saratoga on Friday night for the Zac Brown Band concert - it was fantastic! Nana & Pipere graciously took the girls for the weekend so we stayed in Saratoga Friday night and then headed for the bed and breakfast in the Berkshires on Saturday. After hitting the Lee outlets and realizing how much easier it is to shop without kids, we checked in and headed out for dinner. Our inn keepers recommended a little restaurant in town, which was absolutely fabulous. Dan had duck and I tried soft shell crab. We walked around the town that night and slept for a long time, in peace ad quiet, before being treated to a nice breakfast Sunday morning. We drove back to WS to pick up the girls and and after a very relaxing weekend made our way back to Hoboken with two very tired kiddos. Not sure what Nana & Pipere did to wear them out, but they sure were exhausted.

But you do know nothing goes as smoothly as planned. Fast forward to Monday morning when I wake up at 2AM and notice red dots all over my stomach. I didn't think much of it and feel right back asleep until my alarm went off at 5:30 and I woke up to a rash all over my stomach, back, neck, arms, and legs. After getting ready for work I came to my senses and decided that I needed to have this looked at before I brought it to work. So I dropped Claire off at school and headed right for urgent care where they diagnosed me with an allergic reaction to a medicine or something I ate. I have never had allergies to any food or medicine and I don't have sensitive skin so I was a little lost. But we moved forward with a prescription, some Benadryl and a shot in my @ss to start a Monday morning off right. After almost passing out in the doctors office, I slowly made my way to work and watch my rash begin to fade while pondering what caused this allergic reaction. Now I think I might have the answer - did you know that when you eat soft shell crab you eat the whole crab, shell and all. And the shell contains something called chitin that causes a lot of people to have a reaction. So I don't think I'll be eating soft shell crab anytime soon and I will stay away from eating bugs because the chitin is what makes their shells hard. Whew - what a start to the week, it can only get better, right?

2 comments:

Don said...

Actually, that could be the case with any shell fish. Try some shrimp and see if the same thing happens. If it does, you can't have shell fish anymore...

Don said...

Actually, that could be the case with any shell fish. Try some shrimp and see if the same thing happens. If it does, you can't have shell fish anymore...