Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Rough Start

I had a rough start to my morning today so I thought I would share.

Last night I wasn't feeling great so I decided to go to bed really early and was happily asleep by 10PM (I said really early!) At around 5:15 this morning I heard my doorbell ringing and someone banging on my door. I was terrified! I live by myself and I don't have a peep hole and didn't have the guts to try to go peak out the window because I was scared whoever it was would see my blinds moving. With my luck it was an escapee from the jail about a 1/4 mile down the road looking for a place to go (well, not really, both those are the thoughts going through my mind!)

I sat there for a few minutes trying to figure out to do and it finally stopped. I debating going out and trying to find the number for the police but I was scared that someone may see the light and come back to the door. I didn't think this warranted a call to 911. I also debating calling some of my guy friends who live up the street but figured they wouldn't be so happy to hear from me at that hour of the morning! Then the person came back again!!! This time I got up and got dressed and got back into bed and just sat there. I don't know why I got dressed, but it seemed like the right thing to do haha. I knew I wouldn't fall back asleep but didn't want to start getting ready for work in case something happened. A little while later I saw some cop lights in my parking lot and I couldn't decide if that made me feel better or worse.

Finally around 6:45 I got up and called Peggy to see if I was crazy for calling the cops to see what was going on. I am so glad I did! Turns out that someone from my complex had called 911 for a medical emergency and didn't say what unit so they are looking for that person whom they eventually found. I felt much better! Then on my way out the door I bumped in to one of my neighbors and we started chatting about a car alarm that had also been going off since around 5AM and how annoying that was and I found out she works at my office!

So in the end it was good to meet some new neighbors, my heart rate has resumed a normal pace, and I have the Cops number in my phone that I sleep with just in case for next time! Hope everyone is having a good day!

4 comments:

Julie said...

That is a very scary way to wake up. Sounds like you handled it well though.

Anonymous said...

Wow Andrea, we are so much alike! I would have been freaking out too! But you handled it very well.
Good job!
~Amy

Peg and Don said...

Sounds like it was a rough start. I am surprised you didn't find a way to call 911. That's what they are there for. You need to figure that out for the unlikely chance you would need to do it in the future. I found it funny that you could get dressed but not call 911. Wouldn't getting dressed be more noise than dialing 3 digits?

Anonymous said...

You poor thing Andrea. When I first got married Michael used to work nights and I was laying in bed when I heard this loud bang at my window I was so scared I just layed ther till I finally fell asleep. I couldn't bring myself to get out of bed and check I was too scared. In the morning Michael checked and a bird had flown into the window and was dead on the ground. Sorry you had to be scared it is awful.Maryellen