Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Johnson & Johnson Plans To Cut 4,800 Jobs

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=JNJ:US&sid=aKm2WIIdiqOo

I don't know if people have seen this in the news but J&J just laid of 3-4% of their global workforce. No worries, I was not affected but they did close both of the plants by where I am living (about 700 people total I think) and I know quite a few people that were let go. The reason is that 2 of our "blockbuster" drugs (Risperdal and Topamax) will go off patent in 2008 and we will take a big hit when we start competing with generic drugs. Also, there has been a lot of negative information around drug-coated stents lately and some of the companies have taken a big hit lately because of that. As Dad said, Welcome to the business world I guess...

3 comments:

Meredith said...

I am glad this didn't directly affect you...now move back East!

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea, your father is correct!! I am so glad you are ok... Meredith is correct move back...We are going to miss you very -very Much...this family weekend !!
Love Auntie Cindy

Peg and Don said...

I was going to comment similar to what your Dad said. Welcome to our world of business. That said, work hard, do good, valuable work, show off what you do because it is good, then hope for the best. Moving back east will only satify those who want you to move back. Go where you like it!