Sunday, August 13, 2006

Last update from Kenya before I leave

Hey Family,
I realized I hadn't really updated you guys in a while so I thought I would write on here before I went to bed. Everything is still amazing! We did our big project over the past week or so. My group's project was on agriculture in a swamp about an hour away. We went out there everyday for four days and split up into groups of two with a guide for each group and we interviewed the Maasai people living in bomas around the swamp and the non-Maasai people cultivating in the swamp. We also created a map of the swamp using GPS. It was basically the best experience I've ever had. Most of the people here are soo friendly and welcoming. The guides were awesome too. I am going to try to help one of them get a scholarship to go to school in the U.S. when I get back. However, after the research was very stressful. We did 90 boma interviews and 81 cultivator interviews and had to put all that info into tables and do statistics tests and I personally created 4 maps. Then we each had to write a paper on it. My paper was 17 pages without the tables and stuff and it was 50 pages with that stuff. Pretty ridiculous really. But I got an A- for the whole course, so that's good. The paper writing ended on Thursday, and life has been good since then. We went to Amboseli National Park again yesterday and it was soooo much fun. We saw hyenas eating a gazelle and a hippo out of the water trying to fight buffalo and we saw lions again. It was sooo cool! On the way home we were all quiet and thinking about how sad we were going to be to leave, now that's like the forbidden subject cause everyone is so sad.
On another note, I do know all about the whole travel carry-on restrictions and it stinks. All we can carry is a clear plastic bag. It'll be alright though, I'll survive.
Lastly, Mom, be ready to take me out to eat as soon as I get to the airport cause I want some American restaurant food! And I want a HOT shower as soon as I get to the house! If it weren't for those two things, and all of you of course, I don't think that I would ever go home. Unfortunately this did have to come to an end though, but I'm so glad I came and had this wonderful experience.
Sorry the blogg entry is so long, I'll see you all soon!
Love you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie what an incredible experience I am truely jealous however I am such a chicken I probably would never have gone to begin with. I do miss you and will be glad to see you home. Too bad parting is such sweet sorrow ( I made that up myself). Any who two of my favorite people were gone for too long, you and Uncle Michael. XOXO maryellen

Meredith said...

Did Julie get home alright? She didn't bring any men home with her, did she?
I am looking forward to her pictures!!